Thursday, March 11, 2010

Suggestions

I ran a hand through my hair as I made my way across my apartment and towards the front door where the repeated sounds of knocks were coming from. I stood up on my tip-toes, peering through the peep hole to see who it was before unlocking the door and opening it, smiling at Peyton. “Hey.”

She smiled back, holding up the two cups of coffee and bag of whatever she had for me. “Can I come in?”

I nodded, stepping to the side so she could walk in, shutting the door behind her.

We had both been home for three days now, and tomorrow was scheduled to be our first day back at the arena. After spending four straight days with each other, and having to spend those four days living with each other, we had completely avoided one anther. Peyton had, presumably, spent her Hanna free time with her younger sister, probably arguing about her life choices, or making sure she had everything ready to go for University, as she had signed up to start a cosmetology course in September. Unlike me, who had avoided University because I didn’t feel like there was anything I really wanted to dedicate my life to yet, Peyton wasn’t able to go due to the fact that her dad didn’t have the money, and neither did she. Schools out in the Vancouver area are so costly it’s almost comical, and unless you’d like to dedicate the later years of your life to paying off student loans, you better have a highly stacked bank account. It had taken her all of her high school, and two years after, but Peyton had finally managed to accumulate enough money to attend the University of British Columbia. I’d be lying if I didn’t say a part of me was envious.

I, on the other hand, had spent my Peyton free time drinking coffee, reading magazines and watching hockey games. I had missed two Canuck games, and was pleased to see that they had somehow managed a win against the San Jose Sharks, and incredibly disappointed to see that they had surrendered a 4 goal lead and lost to the Flames the next day. As much as I loved BC, the downside to living so far out West had to be that watching Pittsburgh games was almost impossible. I had managed to watch a quarter of one of the boys games online, but my Internet connection had continually frozen or cut out at the most inconvenient of times. I swear, the people watching my server were purposely hitting a disconnect button every time anyone scored for either team. One second, Jordan would be making a pass across ice to Matt Cooke, then my Internet would freeze. When I’d finally get back to the game, it would be in time to hear the announcement of the last goal scored. I eventually gave up and devoted my attention to eating something. Preferably bacon.

“You look nice today,” Peyton told me, nodding at my outfit choice as she set down the coffee and bag of whatever, I still didn’t know, on the counter. “Are you using a different shampoo?”

I picked up a chunk of my hair and looked at it, as if that was the only way I’d know the answer. “My mom stopped by yesterday with some stuff she had seen on sale. Why, is it killing my hair?”

Peyton laughed, “No, it just made your hair look really nice. And I like the length, your hair gets these soft curls once it’s past your shoulders.”

I picked up one of the cups of coffee, pulling open the bag and seeing two muffins inside. “You brought me coffee, a muffin and a mouth full of compliments?” I asked her, taking a sip from the cup. “What do you have to tell me?”

She smirked at me, leaning against the counter. “I like that you assume the only way I’m capable of being nice to you is if it’s accompanied by bad news of some kind,” She said. “I don’t have anything bad to say. I just have a suggestion.”

I eyed her, grabbing a muffin from the bag and checking to see what kind it was. “A suggestion for what?”

She sighed, picking up her own cup of coffee and taking a long sip from it. “Well, Marc and I were talking last night, via AIM, and he was asking me about school,” She began, watching me as I bit into the muffin I had grabbed. “He asked me about you and whether you were signed up for school, and I said no, and he was surprised by that.”

I chewed on the piece of muffin I had in my mouth, still eyeing Peyton. “Are you here to tell me I need to go to school? Because I’d be all for it if I knew what I wanted to do with my life.”

“That’s not exactly it, it’s…” She sighed, pausing to take another drink of her coffee. “Look, Marc wants you to call him. He said he’ll be out of practice around noon our time, and he has a couple of free hours. I think it should be him that tells you.”

I nodded, “Okay. I can do that. That’s all? There’s nothing more you have to tell me?”

Peyton glanced down at the other muffin, almost in guilty fashion, and shook her head. “No, nothing else of importance.”

I nodded, taking another bite of the muffin as I watched her adjust the bracelet she was wearing. I let her awkwardly adjust it around her wrist for a moment before I spoke up again. “When are you flying out to see Kris?”

Peyton’s face paled as she glanced up at me. “What?”

I grinned, “I know he and his girlfriend broke up just before you and I arrived in Pittsburgh, and I also know that you made a beeline for him whenever he was around. Plus, the night Max and Jordan changed the seating so I was with Sidney, they left you with Kris. I’ve just been waiting for you to tell me.”

She chewed on her lip for a moment before letting out a soft laugh. “I didn’t think it was obvious,” She admitted.

I grinned, “Oh, I’m sure none of the guys have any idea. Except maybe Max. I think Max always knows more then he lets on,” I decided. “Anyways, if he’s single, I don’t see why you need to feel bad about it.”

“I don’t feel bad as much as I feel weird,” She tried to explain. “Have you taken the time to think about how crazy our lives got? A month ago, I could give a shit less about hockey. Now, I’m aim chatting with the goal tender of the Pittsburgh Penguins, checking scores for the Canucks, just because I still think that Bieksa guy is a stud, and thinking about what it would be like to date Kris Letang. I spent the last couple of days thinking I was losing my mind.”

I laughed, “I’ve been questioning my own sanity as well, don’t worry.” I took another drink of my coffee, looking over at the clock on my microwave. My eyes immediately drifted from the clock to my cell phone, which was sitting a few feet away from me on the counter. I let out a soft sigh, taking another bite out of the muffin.

Peyton’s mouth twitched to the side for a moment. “He’s been really busy, Hanna. I wouldn’t read too much into this.”

I nodded, looking back up at her with a forced smile. “I’m not. I was just wondering if it was too soon to call Marc.”

Peyton rolled her eyes at me. “Right. Why don’t you call him? You already know that they’re practice is out at noon.”

I sighed, “I don’t want to bother him. I’m sure Sidney just has a lot on his mind right now, especially with the Olympics coming up and everything. I don’t want to take away any of his free time.”

Peyton gave her head a shake. “Okay, but you know that he’s probably not calling now because he feels bad for not calling right away and doesn’t know what to say to you.”

I shrugged. “Where are you off to today?”

Peyton shrugged back. “I have no plans. What about you, you’re all dressed up and just hanging here?”

“I just saw this shirt in my closet and realized I never wear it anymore,” I explained. “Do you want to hang out or something?”

“Are you sure? You won’t be completely sick of me tomorrow?” She joked.

I laughed. “I’m sure I can handle working with you tomorrow. I just need to get out of this apartment.”

She nodded, chewing on a piece of muffin. “Alright. Well, how about you call Marc, and then you and I will head out, maybe get some lunch or something?”

I nodded, checking the time and seeing that it was already past noon. “I guess I’ll call Marc and see what the two of you are up too,” I mumbled, grabbing my cell phone and heading into my room, leaving Peyton in the kitchen.

Marc answered on the second ring, shouting “Hello?!” over the background noise of who I’m assuming to be fellow players.

“Marc? Hey, it’s Hanna,” I said, suddenly uncomfortable. “Peyton told me to call you.”

“Hanna!” he repeated. “Guys, it’s Hanna!” I heard a chorus of “hi Hanna!” in the background before Marc came back on the phone. “I had just been talking to Peyton about schooling, and I was so shocked when she said you weren’t in school!”

“I thought everyone knew that already. Didn’t we have this conversation at the giant team dinner?” I asked.

“I believe you spent the majority of that dinner talking with Sid,” He reminded me, the smirk on his face obvious in his tone. “Anyways, Peyton told me that you haven’t signed up because you haven’t found anything you want to study?”

“That would be why, yes,” I answered. “Did you just call to mock me with the fact that you’ve known you wanted to dedicate your life to hockey since you were three?”

He laughed. “No, I was just thinking about the way you were with all of us, and how you actually listened to us, which is something most people, even friends, don’t do anymore, and it got me thinking…”

I frowned, “Thinking what? Why did you stop talking?”

There was a muffled conversation going on for a few seconds while I waited for Marc to come back on the phone. “Sorry about that, Sidney was talking to me,” He apologized. I resisted the urge to say something about how surprising it was that Sidney could still talk, since I hadn’t heard from him since we left Pittsburgh, but I didn’t. “I was just thinking that, since you’re not in school and we all like you so much, I heard a rumour that the arena needs is looking for a server.”

“You’re calling to ask me if I’ll up and leave Vancouver to serve drinks for less money than I make out here to crazy Pittsburgh fans? No deal. When the Flyer’s come to town, they’ll be brining their fans, and their fans scare me.”

Marc laughed, “No, to work in the upstairs boxes, bringing in the catering and drinks. It pays a pretty fair amount of money, and Pascal Dupuis and his wife said they have a downstairs suite that they never use and will let you have.”

I sighed, “That’s all really sweet, but I can’t just pack up and leave my family. Also, there’s no way I could afford any of that.”

“Didn’t you hear me? Pascal said you could have the suite, free of charge. For the first year or so, at least. Plus, all of us are totally willing to pitch in and help you get out here. I’ll even talk to your mommy for you,” He tried to bargain.
I had to sigh again. “That sounds great, really, but why would I leave all of my friends and family to go to Pittsburgh and work a job that probably doesn’t pay as much as the one I have here?”

“Because, you need to figure out what you want to do in life, and clearly, you’re not finding it out in Vancouver,” He pointed out. “And I think a change could be good for you. Besides, we are fantastic people. It would be great for you, I feel.”

I was silent for a long time, long enough that Marc eventually asked if I had hung up. “No, I’m still here,” I said. “I just…that’s a lot to think about. I don’t want to say no, but I can’t say yes. Not yet, anyways.”

“That’s totally fine,” Marc assured me. “Take your time and call me when you think you know what you’ve decided. Or when you think you can talk about it in a little more detail.” He let out a long sigh. “And don’t hold this against Sidney. He’s had a tough few days. He’ll talk to you when he’s ready to, don’t doubt that.”

I was surprised that Marc knew I was a hurting a little bit from Sidney not talking to me since I had left just a few days ago, but I should have figured out by now that Marc knows me a little better than I had assumed he did. “I’ll try not to,” I promised. “How are you guys? Are you all doing good?”

“Yeah, we’re fine. Don’t worry about us,” He said with a small chuckle. “Listen, I have to go in and talk to Pens TV, but I hope you really think about coming out here. Or at least prepare a guest room so we can come visit you at some point, because we all miss you,” He paused for a second before adding, “Some of us more then others. I’ll talk to you later, Hanna.”

“Okay, bye Marc,” I hung up, letting out what must have been my hundredth sigh that day before I headed back out to the kitchen to talk with Peyton.

-----------------------

Peyton set down her menu, frowning a bit. “If I order the spinach and artichoke dip as an appetizer, will you eat some of it?”

I nodded, scanning over my own menu. “Can I ask you something?” Peyton hummed, glancing up at me. “Do you think I should lave Vancouver?”

Peyton bit her lip for a second. “I don’t want you to leave, but I can definitely see why getting out of here would be good for you.”

“I just…I don’t know how being in Pittsburgh will help anything,” I admitted. “Their schools offer the same courses the ones out here have, and I’m not sure how being around the guys all the time will help me focus on my life,” I admitted.
Peyton gave her shoulders a small shrug. “Maybe not focusing on it is what you need,” She suggested. “Maybe you need to be out and surrounded by new people, in a new city. You’ve built up so many walls out here, Hanna, and I don’t think you’ll ever be able to take those walls down if you’re out here. Plus, the server job Marc was talking about, I think it would push you outside of your comfort zone, which I think you need.”

I nodded, taking all of that in. “I just don’t know if I’m ready for that.”

“Well, you don’t have to go right now,” She said, laughing. “I just think Pittsburgh has everything you need and want right now. It’s a new place, it’s a fresh start. It has a great job for you, a great group of new friends, and, you know, that Sidney guy.”

I ran one of my hands through my hair. “I’ll have to talk to my parents, I guess,” I mumbled.

Peyton smiled. “Don’t go if you’re not positive that this will be good for you, okay? It’s just a suggestion. If you really think staying out here, with me, working at the arena is better, then stay here.”

I nodded, thankful to see our waitress arrive to take out orders.

------------------------

It was nearing midnight when I heard my cell phone going off from beside me, somewhere on my bedside table. I looked around for it, muting the tiny TV in my room and letting my hand feel around for the phone. “Hello?” I asked into it.

“Hey, Hanna. It’s Sidney.”

I felt my eyes widen, then a sense of rage ripple through me, followed by a wave of relief and excitement. “Oh, hey Sidney. What’s up?”

There was a long pause from the other side. “I’m sorry it’s so late. I’m not sure what time it is there-”

“It’s only eleven, no worries,” I answered.

“Okay, that makes me feel a little bit better.” He let out a long sigh. “I’m really sorry I didn’t call you until now I’ve just been busy and…I just….I need someone to talk too, I guess.”

I felt the beginning of a half smile pulling at the sides of my mouth. “Well, I am here to listen. What’s wrong?”

He didn’t say anything for a second, and I could imagine him scratching the back of his neck in his typical nervous way. “Well, it’s mainly two things. First, remember when you told me that I couldn’t hold everything in?”

I had to let out a small laugh, “Are you about to just unload it all on me? Because I can handle that.”

“That’s what she said,” Sidney mumbled, making me laugh. “I guess it’s not really a big deal. It’s just that we play the Capitals on Saturday, and even though I’ve been trying to not pay attention to the stats, and not listen to all the talk on this apparent rivalry between Alex Ovechkin and I, it’s all getting to me.”

“What caused that?” I asked, sitting up and crossing my legs.

“One of the reporters today brought up the fact that we’re tied in goals, but he’s leading with two assists. I know it shouldn’t get to me, and it usually doesn’t, but for some reason this time, it did,” He tried to explain.

“It’s understandable. Ovechkin’s a douche,” I joked, smiling when I heard Sidney chuckle from the other end. “Look, eventually some of the stuff that gets said about you is going to get to you. This feud between you and Ovi, it’s been happening since your first year in the NHL. If after almost five years, it’s just now hitting a nerve, then you’re a far bigger person then people credit you to be. Besides, you don’t need to worry about this whole rivalry. Even if Ovechkin ends the year with more anything, in ten years, people remember the Crosby’s of the NHL. They remember the guy who went out of his way to do everything for the fans. The guy who no one had any dirt on, because there wasn’t any, the guy who went out and lead a team that looked like it had no hope to a Stanley Cup. Ovechkin can have his so called ‘exciting’ style of play, and he can score a few more goals, but at the end of the day, it’s you who people will talk about with the utmost respect, because to you, hockey is more than just a game.”

Sidney was silent for a couple of seconds before he let out a small laugh. “Hanna, you always know what to say to me,” He told me.

“What was the second thing?” I asked, a little cautiously.

“I heard Flower talking about how he thinks you should come live out here in Pittsburgh,” He began, waiting as I agreed with this. “I think that would be really good for you.”

I was silent. Even though I hadn’t expected Sidney to disagree with the idea, I certainly wasn’t expecting that the first time he’d call me it would be to talk about this, especially on the same day I had been told about it.

Sidney carried on, obviously realizing that I wasn’t sure what to say. “I remember when you were talking to me about why you aren’t in school, how it’s because you haven’t found anything in your life that made you feel the way hockey makes me feel, and I just feel like maybe that’s because it’s not in Vancouver, it’s somewhere else. I’m not saying that I think it’s Pittsburgh, but I think getting away from everything out there, and whatever it is out there that you don’t want to talk about yet. And I’m even willing to pay for your ticket out here, and I’ll have my manager to arrange for trips for your parents to come out and visit you a few times in the year if you want.”

I was silent again, but this time over complete shock. It took me a good two minutes of utter silence before I finally let out a small laugh, “Sidney, I really believe that you are some kind of an angel or something when you just do these amazing things for me, just because you’re a good person.”

I couldn’t see Sidney, but I knew that he was grinning on the other side of the phone as he let out a small laugh. “I just want to be as helpful to you as you have been to me.”

I just about melted, feeling a grin spread across my face. “Then…maybe I should talk to my mom about why I’m moving to Pittsburgh.”

There was a brief pause before I heard Sidney start clapping. “If you need help moving, Max can come help you. Even it’s a game day, he can sit out. No one will notice.”

I laughed, “You’re so sweet, Sidney.”

He let out a yawn, “Thanks. I’m sorry that I called so late, complained to you and am now going to hang up.”

I smiled, “That’s fine. I told you I was here if you needed someone to talk to, and I meant it. Besides, you and the rest of the team have already done so much for me.”

Sidney started to say something but then stopped. “I’ll talk to you soon, okay? And if you need someone to talk to, I’m here.”

“I might take you up on that,” I admitted. “Bye Sidney.”

“Bye Hanna.”

I set my phone back down on the table, letting out a content sigh as I looked back at the TV. It hadn’t even been two minutes when I heard my phone going off once more, signalling a text message this time. I picked up my phone, checking to see who it was from and rolling my eyes when the text from Max popped up. AHHHHHH! Neighbours forever! Excited. C U soon.

I laughed, half at the text and half at the fact that he had actually said “C U soon”. I set my phone back down, letting out a yawn and finally shutting off my TV as I settled back into my bed, trying to let the enormity of my decision sink in.

4 comments:

  1. "Preferably bacon." Amen sista.

    This has to be one of the best chapters yet. I'm kind of sad she is leaving Vancouver, but excited because now she will be near Sidney and have more opportunities. I want her to go to school, maybe sports psychology?

    I'm so happy their relationship is evolving and everything she said was so true (especially Ovechkin the douchebag).

    Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the 'Thats what she said' joke thrown in there! and Max's "AHHHHH Neighbors forever" hahaha I'm excited that shes going to move to Pittsburgh! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! she sooo needs to move to pittsburgh that would be amazing haha!!! and yes ovechkin is a douche bag! haha awwww sid & hanna <3 great chapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah go to pittsburgh... haha, "Max can sit out and no one will notice..." Oh bless Max, such a darling.
    And ditto EHisCDN with the bacon comment.
    Does this mean Peyton will be out of the picture? Or will she follow Hanna to Pittsburgh to be with Kris??
    Thanks for the great update :)

    ReplyDelete